Pegasus: The Behind the Scenes

Posted by Unknown on 12:24 PM with No comments


   Making a music video is a dream come true. Collaborating with smart and talented artist like Making Bianca inspires me in many ways. Our busy schedules are not a hindrance to shoot the music video. I am thankful that I collaborated with smart and cool artists who prefer to spend their time creatively for the love of art. 

   I do not expect that my first music video would be as spectacular as what we have seen in MTV. As the resources dictates, I need to be resourceful and creative to have desired output. Luckily, the cast and crew was really good to work with despite some problems arise during the shoot. 

   During the shoot of the video, it is expected that problems may rise. So the challenge is how you will solve it in a creative way. For example, the lead actress was not present during the second day of the shooting. We did not know what motivates her to act that way. Before we separate ways in the first day of shoot, it was clear to all of us that we still have second day shoot and we should come early. With that incident, I prepared my Plan B to cover up the “damage”. 


   Given that I do not have equipment like DSLR camera, I have concepts and ideas that are worth sharing. As of now, equipment is not my priority. I am more concern on finding the right team to collaborate with. If you have solid, smart, creative, fun and easy to work teammates, for me it’s like winning in a lottery. Camera and other equipment are easy to find if you have money, but a great team is not.

   I am really blessed that J.Leonida was there and lend not only her camera but also her time and skills to be my Cinematographer in the music video. “It is my first time to make a music video”, as she said. She does not have an experience for shooting a video. Throughout the process of making a music video, we are all learning from each other. No overlapping of tasks. We work harmoniously for the anticipated outcome. I am also thankful that the Political Science students of MSU-GenSan were really supportive of Making Bianca. To show their support, most of them starred in the music video. 

Meeting the Band

   I first met Andrew Yatar and Arjay Lim (of Making Bianca) at the Mindanao State University (GenSan) campus. Harlem Jude Ferolino (The Voice of the Youth-GenSan) and Ronnie Barrientos (GenSan Youth Network) introduced me to them. I get interested of primarily because I am motivated to do a music video and finding the right artist to be featured in it. It is a good thing that the band has original compositions that have great lyrics. Since they are Political Science students, some of their songs reflect the social flaws of the Philippine society. Their themes and subjects really inspire me to pursue directing their video. 

   Before we shoot the video, I first consulted them about the concept. I interviewed them and asked some questions related to their band and their songs. As a director, I make a point that I consulted the artist what he/she would like to incorporate in the video. After that, I conceptualize and interpret it visually to the have desired output. I am honored that they loved the concept. 

The Lesson

   I have learned a lot from shooting this video. I do not spend my time and energy to those wannabes whose job is to pretend that they are passionate about their craft. Whether photography, modeling or any other art medium, a true artist transcends despite all the odds. He/she is not concerned whether he/she gets paid or become famous after the shoot. In short, passion speaks for itself.

The Video

   Here's the music video that we have created. I hope that you will enjoy it and reflect on its message.