Chillax and the irony of its title

Posted by Unknown on 2:20 PM with No comments


   Chillax - a colloquial term for relax. It’s a combination of the words – chill and relax, which has the same meaning. This term is the new song of AXL GRICO and Licko’One. As you listen to the song, it has this relax, sexy, hypnotic and stoned vibe. It best played especially in the summer season. 

   AXL asked my help to direct their music video. It’s our second collaboration and I want it to be different. I want to take this video into the next level. Just like before, we had a series of meetings to discuss the concept and to prepare for the production requirements. John the owner of Pigshot clothing became the producer of the video. It is also our first meeting with Licko’One and I interviewed him in order for me to know his qualities as a rap artist. Fortunately, he was cooperative and contributed his share in the video. Since I came up with the sexy-hypnotic concept, I casted models to be featured in it. The two rappers liked the idea and they recommended models to be featured in the video. Then we started to prepare its production requirements.

   It’s ironic how I am not chillax before the shoot. I am a bit stress in finding the right models, the location and the preparation for the right production requirements. Since they do not have exposure in film/music video production, I made adjustment in order to relate to them. I modified its concept due to budgetary constraint and the “limited time of preparing it”. It’s a bit hard for me in the sense that they do not know what they were doing. I guided them so that it would not be disastrous during the shooting day. Moreover, I adjusted my hectic schedule and canceled my other appointments just to be sure the video will be shot in the planned schedule. 

   Despite all the challenges that we encountered, the music video was still shot in the intended dates. Although the concept that I have envisioned was not 100% materialized, I am still thankful that it went well. I shared to AXL my sentiments about the music video. I said to him that next time you want me to direct your music video you should prepare enough time and budget for it. He should not make rush decisions about it. 

   I hope they learned something from our shoot. I hope they realize that it’s not enough to have many followers or views in Youtube. I hope they realize that producing a quality artwork is not as easy as counting 1, 2, 3. I hope that the “fame” they experience would not consume them and forget other important things in life. 

   Through this music video I appreciate the essence of time. The value of right timing is really important if I want to be successful. That’s why I decided to shoot my third short film next year. I would not rush it and make the same mistakes just what my second film experienced. I will prepare enough budgets, collaborate with the right artists and make the right plan for the production requirements.