Sekreto: The Secret Behind the Music Video

Posted by Unknown on 9:28 AM with No comments



The concept 

   Making music video helps widen my horizon as a filmmaker. ‘Sekreto’, the second music video that I directed aids me in experimentation of different techniques. My passion and their enthusiasm push me to be more creative in conceptualizing it. 

   ‘Sekreto’ is quite different from ‘Pegasus’ music video in many ways. The first one which is ‘Pegasus’ shows more symbolism compare to ‘Sekreto’. Besides the lyrics, genre and its message is not the same. ‘Pegasus’ is more into social commentary while ‘Sekreto’ deals with the internal struggle of a person. Moreover, the first one has a dark humor element embedded on its lyrics while the latter has this melodramic atmosphere that can be easily comprehend by a typical audience. 

   The second music video helps me experiment of the “masa” taste in terms of entertainment. If you notice, ‘Sekreto’ has a simple storyline that can be easily grasped by the broad audience. ‘Sekreto’ is more of a teenage buffer kind of music video that many youngsters today can relate to. 

   Of course, I based its concept to the story of Jamcelle Alorro (the actor) and Jodi Anne Gaquit (the actress) and their unusual relationship as friends. The song was written primarily for Jodi on her 18th birthday (November 5). Jamcelle asked Axl Grico to write a song that is based on their story. The song is intended to be a surprise to Jodi. But since I want the two of them to be the actors for the music video, Jamcelle was forced to admit his plan to Jodi.

Meeting Axl Grico and the gang 

   Axl Grico is quite famous in his own right. ‘Sekreto’ is his third song that has a music video. The first two music videos (and the other video that he acted on it) were all directed by Ariel Lalisan. Ariel was supposed to be directing ‘Sekreto’. Since he is busy on his work and other related activities, Axl asked me thru Facebook if I am willing to direct it. At first, I was hesitant because I did not know him well and I want him to tell Ariel that he wants me to direct the music video. I am thankful that Ariel is supportive to Axl and look forward to see it. 

   When Axl and I got the chance to meet in person, I admit to him that I am different to Ariel. I shared to him that I do not easily make a music video especially if I do not know the artist or if the song is not “cool” for me. I also said to him that it takes days to shoot a music video (case to case basis). I explained to him that there is Pre-production, Production and Post-production stage. Furthermore, I explained to him that I screened actors and rehearse them so that it could not be a burden during the shoot. I also asked him if his lyrics and its music/beat are original. In short, I told him that my background is in filmmaking, and not the typical videography shooting. When he absorbed all of this information and experienced shooting with me, he was shocked because he did not expect that I would be that meticulous in terms of output. Thanks to his interest in music that he still pursue it. 

   Axl collaborated with Joycel Tubao, a young model and singer whom he met in Brigada (TV) Station. Though Joycel has some attitude problem (in terms of professionalism), I am still thankful that the video was finished. On the other hand, I incorporate the talent of Tatz because I can see his potential as a Rap artist. I discovered him when I was a judge in their class presentation. While Raev Yap, the Cinematographer for ‘Sekreto’, is not really into videography. He is the son of Steven Rae Banares (a.k.a Batang Polomolok) and a photographer. He devoted his self to this project because he wants to try and experiment with it. 

The shooting 

   I simplify the production requirement needed for the video. Since it has a limited budget and resources, I try to be more resourceful and creative. We shot it for only two days in their neighborhood. As I have expected, not all of the sequences I conceptualized put into reality. That’s why I device a plan to cover up its lapses. 

The learning experience 

   “Learning is a continuous process”, as the popular adage says. In every film or music video project that I made, I learn new things that can be used in the upcoming project(s). Collaborating with different artists help me grow as an artist. Furthermore, making a music video is a liberating experience because I got the opportunity to experiment and express my ideas freely. I look forward for the next one.


check the music video (below)