A memory of Direk Francis

Posted by Unknown on 8:51 PM with No comments
with Direk Francis during the GenSan Summer Film Camp, May 2013


   In his young and successful career as a Filmmaker, it was shocking to know that Francis Xavier Pasion passed away

   I first got acquainted with Direk Francis during the first GenSan Summer Film Camp organized by SalaMindanaw Asian Film Festival (formerly SalaMindanaw International Film Festival) in the summer of 2013. Like any other neophyte student of filmmaking, I immersed myself into it. The intense and hands on film workshop was overwhelming yet very enlightening. Along with other participants, we immersed ourselves in the world of cinema by learning, feeling and breathing films for five days. As what Gutierrez Mangansakan II, the Workshop Director, said: “In the end, we don’t want to be merely FILL MAKERS – we want you to become thinking FILMMAKERS. 

   As one of the mentors of the film workshop, Direk Francis shared his experiences in filmmaking. He told us how hard to make a film and also points out its rewarding part. He also shared some tips in story development, as he said, “In making films, the story should be base in the real world – that you have a connection with the story – a story that you are familiar with.” One thing I would never forget about his lesson was the word “bali”. This “bali” is important in developing or writing screenplay. This word aids me to be critical about my stories. 

   Even though we did not have a long one-on-one conversation, I cherish those moments where he taught us valuable lessons in filmmaking. His lessons as well as his filmography are consciously and subconsciously embedded in our minds. In his brief yet meaningful stay on Earth, I am thankful that I was his student and he was my teacher.

   Thank you Direk Francis.